10.8.06

A Tank Top Pattern (sort of)

I really just based this pattern on me. And not many people are shaped like me. Which is good, because who doesn't like to feel unique? So I'll just explain how I did it.

Worsted weight yarn - I've used TLC Amore and Plymouth Encore.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1. Make a chain, the length of which adequately covers your boobal area, top to bottom. (I hook)

2. Make a long rectangle by single crocheting into the back loops of the previous row (the crochet version of ribbing).

3. Test by wrapping the long rectangle around your chest. Once the ends meet with the proper amount of tightness, seam it, fasten off. Put the seam in the back.

4. While wearing the tube and the bra you'll probably be wearing with the tank, mark where the straps hit, front and back. Yes, it's tricky to mark the back, you'll figure some way to do it. Take tube off. Put shirt on. Unless you'd like to crochet in your underwear.

5. Start strap (mine was 7 stitches) directly on tube, centering it at the bra mark. Single crochet until it goes over your shoulder and reaches the back of the tube (obviously, you'll need to put it on again). Sew to back, again centering it at bra mark. Repeat this.

6. On the other edge of the tube, start single crocheting in the round. This is where I changed color because I had only bought one ball of the green and had no idea what the dye lot was since the wrapper had been lost for months. You don't have to change colors if ya don't wanna.

7. First round, I hook
Second round, K hook
Third round and on to bottom, M hook

8. Go around and around until it's long enough. What is long enough? You know your abdomen's feelings on public displays better than I do, go with your gut. Or cover your gut, whichever makes you most comfortable. Fasten off.

9. Since I had the two colors, I added a contrasting border on the top, straps and bottom.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this tank it looks really pretty. It is fun to read your pattern instructions also. You certainly have a great knack!

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this tank pattern. It's so easy and so versitile. I'm going to make my first one and increase on the lower portion to make a long(ish) skirt and use it as a night gown. Then I'll make a regular one just like yours and then----I'll make one like yours and put some wide elastic at the bottom of the "boobal" part and encase it in yarn (so it doesn't itch and see if it will work wothout a bra! Unfortunately, Christmas gifts haveto come first and only then can I start on stuff for myself. But it's already half way through October. Yikes! I better get busy. Keep the faith!
Frenchdragon

1:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love this pattern! I am a crochet beginner so this wasn't hard to follow at all! I increased my stitches under the bust line so that it flaired into an empire waist tank and then added a belt that ties in the back! Looks great with jeans and leggings! Thanks so much for posting this easy to follow pattern! Your directions are great!

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home