10.8.06

Crochet Clapotis

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The pattern stitch: 6 dc, ch 2, 6 dc, ch 2, etc.

Increased and decreased portions (i.e. the ends) were (+) or (-) one stitch each row. You may want to do (+2) or (-2) on the very ends.

Each row: Pattern stitch but dc 1 stitch into the ch 2 space then make another ch 2. Or (if you're coming back on a row) dc until 1 stitch before the ch 2 space, ch 2, dc 1 into ch 2 space.

In other words, every row moves the hole over 1 stitch. There should still be 6 dc's between each hole. At the edges, I kept careful count as to when to start/end another hole.

XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX
XXXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXX since you can't start a row with a hole, 7 dc
X XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXX can't start a row with a hole so Ch 1 space
X XXXXXX XXXXXX XXX
XX XXXXXX XXXXXX XX
XXX XXXXXX XXXXXX X
XXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX X ch 1 space at end
XXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXXX 7 dc at end

The dc into the ch 2 space was done "around" the chain and not into the chain.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I know with the knitted clapotis, the holes made by the dropped stitches were closer than what I ended up with. With my yarn (Berroco Cotton Twist) I went with the dc and whatever hook I used because I liked the drape that way. Single crochets would make the holes closer but you would probably have to alter their diagonal progression.

Length: I just worked until I ran out of yarn.
I put a sc edging around it because I had a lot of ends from the stripes and no good place to weave them in.

Also, I did stripes to try and mimic the knitted one's crossing stripes (from the variegation color changes and the dropped stitches). I couldn't get that exactly since I wasn't really working on the diagonal but it was close. A variegated yarn should accomplish the same thing, but I've also seen solid color claps that were very pretty.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this!

2:16 PM  
Blogger PLC Designs said...

Yes, it is really pretty.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh man. i love it!
~mz

1:25 PM  
Blogger Spiff said...

This is brilliant!

I started the knit one, but it was a pain in the tuckas and I frogged it all away. I would totally consider doing this version. I just need to wade through the mounda of other projects I need to get done first! ;)

I see you live near me. Are you a part of the Stitch'n' Bitch group at all?

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this!! I was so interested in the Clapotis when it was so hip and trendy (is it out yet??) but I SO don't have the patience to knit it by hand.

I never sat down and tried to figure out if I go whip one out on the machine.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Lex said...

Does it look similar to this one when it's on? Any pics of anyone modeling it? ;)

Thanks!!

9:06 PM  
Blogger bookczuk said...

how much yarn do you recommend? I'd like to try this pattern. I'm bookczuk on ravelry or on gmail.com, too. Thanks!

6:54 AM  
Blogger DEPRESSION & THE THREE PS said...

......soooo a Clapotis is in actual fact A SCARF eh. Well ya learn something everyday. Oh ignorance is so bliss but just LOVE the pattern lol

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home